Call us: (914) 666-1292
Northern Westchester Hospital
400 East Main Street
Mt. Kisco, NY, 10549
Choosing a Hospital
...Asking the right questions
Whether you’re expecting your first child, or you feel like you’ve become a seasoned professional at labor and delivery, one thing remains constant: deciding where to give birth is just as important as carefully planning one’s labor and delivery. Here are questions to ask:
- If I want a birth coach or doula during delivery, how will the hospital accommodate me?
- If I am planning a natural birthing experience, how will the hospital support this plan?
- If pain medication is important to me, what is available?
- Is an anesthesiologist available 24-hours a day?
- What can I expect if a cesarean delivery becomes necessary?
- What kind of infant intensive care facilities does the hospital offers? A level-three facility, the highest possible rating, is best. Will I have to change hospitals if my baby needs neonatal intensive care?
- What postpartum care is offered?
- Are Lactation Consultants available to providing guidance on caring for me and baby at home?
- Can my spouse/partner spend the night?
- Does the hospital support rooming-in for my baby?
- What are the Nursery security protocols?
Giving Birth at Northern Westchester Hospital
Team of Dedicated Experts
At NWH, we believe moms should have a birthing experience they envision, keeping in mind what is advised medically. From our physicians, midwives and labor & delivery nurses, to our nurses in the nursery and ICU, our entire team is committed to ensuring the safest delivery for mother and baby.
Members of our medical and nursing staff have trained at leading institutions, have long enjoyed careers at NWH, and possess a wealth of knowledge that they readily share with patients and their families. These healthcare professionals use a team approach to support families during this very special event in their lives. They provide the comfort, reassurance, and personal attention they expect during your birth experience.
Your team of dedicated professionals include:
- Highly-qualified obstetricians trained to manage high-risk pregnancies
- Experience with Gentle C cesarean delivery
- Full-time neonatologists
- Full-time obstetrical anesthesiologists available 24/7
- Nurses, midwives, pediatricians, and other allied healthcare professionals
NWH also welcomes the use of doulas.
Visiting hours are directed by the new mom. However, Maternal/Child Health has a Quiet Bonding Time from 2:00pm to 4:00pm daily, for rest, and quiet time to cultivate relaxation and bonding with newborn.
Six state-of-the-art private birthing rooms with private bathrooms provide a warm, home-like environment, which allow the mother to remain in the same room throughout the birth experience.
Rooms have large showers, rocking chairs, and televisions. Patients are encouraged to bring personal items that will make them feel more at home, such as favorite photographs, videos, music, and pillows.
Rooming-in is available. We have sleeper chairs for partners to spend the night in the room. Our birthing suites provide a home-like surrounding where moms, dads, and babies can all stay together.
All families have access to a refrigerator and room service. Food can be customized for virtually any dietary preference, including vegans, diabetics, and those following a kosher diet. If necessary or desired, a private refrigerator can be placed in your room.
NWH prides itself on its Integrative Medicine department, and many of our nurses are certified in complementary relaxation therapies, including reiki, aromatherapy, guided imagery and massage. During labor and delivery, complementary therapies, walks, and music will be available to you. Should the need for additional pain management become necessary, there is the option to receive narcotic pain medications and epidurals, if you so desire.
Why families trust NWH
Whether you are trying to get pregnant, facing challenges during your pregnancy, or having your fourth or fifth child, NWH has highly-trained, experienced specialists and advanced medical technology to ensure that you and your baby have a safe, well cared for, and enjoyable experience.
Our advanced technology includes:
- State-of-the-art fetal surveillance system. Not only are nurses in the labor room able to check on your baby, but doctors throughout the hospital and even at home are able to see your baby’s heart rate, and other vital signs.
- Level III NICU (neo-natal intensive care unit)
We are committed to making your childbirth a positive experience by providing the comprehensive services and high-level care that you will need every step of the way.
To sign up for a labor and delivery class, including a tour of labor and delivery, call us today at (914) 666-1292 or visit our calendar of classes and events.