Blood Avoidance Program
For more information call us at (914) 666-1423
You determine your care.
We’re sensitive to your beliefs.
If blood transfusion isn’t an option for you, whether for religious, ethical, or safety concerns, we understand.
|Patient Brochure||Patient Glossary|
The services you need –
without blood transfusions.
Our Blood Avoidance Program provides quality healthcare during complex procedures, without the use of blood transfusions or blood products.
Our services include:
A range of treatments
designed to meet your needs.
Evidence-based blood management includes the following for all our patients:
- Minimally invasive and non-invasive surgical techniques to reduce the size of incisions and minimize blood loss.
- Specialized instruments that reduce blood loss by using heat to seal blood vessels during surgery.
- Close monitoring of blood pressure, temperature, fluid and oxygen levels to identify and quickly respond to signs of anemia.
- Medications used to enhance circulation with non-blood fluids and to help your blood clot.
- Minimizing blood-draws by collecting only what’s necessary for lab work to conserve as much blood as possible.
- Dietary Consultation if needed. Eating foods high in iron, folic acid, vitamin C and B-12 to help enrich your blood.
"The medical benefits of avoiding a blood transfusion are very clear. With this program, we've developed a way to significantly reduce the need for transfusion."
– Victor Khabie, MD, Co-Chief of Orthopedics Director of Sports Medicine Northern Westchester Hospital
Interested? Here’s what you can do.
- Talk to your primary care physician and your surgeon about being enrolled in our Blood Avoidance Program. Medications may be ordered or paused, pre-procedure, to stimulate the production of red blood cells and to decrease your risk of bleeding.
- If you smoke, stop. This will increase your oxygen levels.Medications may be ordered or paused, pre-procedure, to stimulate the production of red blood cells.
- Discuss your wishes with loved ones.
- Prepare an Advance Medical Directive.
- Select a Health Care Proxy.
Our promise to you.
As a Designated Planetree Hospital with Distinction, we offer you and your loved ones peace of mind in seeking quality healthcare, without the use of blood. A copy of your personalized choices will be placed in your chart so all of your caregivers can respect your wishes.
Learn about bloodless alternatives that work for you. Our Program Coordinator can be reached at (914) 666-1423.