The Vascular Surgery Department at Northern Westchester Hospital provides expertise in diagnosis, prevention and treatment for a variety of vascular disorders using leading edge and minimally invasive endovascular therapies.
Call us at 877.469.4362 or contact us online to find a vascular surgeon.
Symptoms of Vascular Disease and Conditions
When illness, injury or a congenital condition impacts your vascular system, you could experience any number of symptoms such as:
- Pain, numbness, tingling, or burning in your feet and/or legs, which may or may not be related to diabetes
- Leg pain including cramps, numbness or weakness due to plaque in arteries and legs
- Swelling, aches and fibrosis (thickening of the skin)
- Chest pain (angina) from blockages in your coronary arteries
- Loss of kidney (renal) function from blockages in one or both kidneys
- Wounds that won't heal properly
- Claudication, pain walking, nonspecific leg issues, back pain, leg pain, sciatica
Left untreated, problems with your vascular system can lead to serious issues such as chronic pain, pulmonary embolism (PE), an aneurysm, stroke, or heart attack.
Treatment of Varicose Veins
Northern Westchester vascular surgeons treat varicose veins, spider veins, and sclerotherapy so they don’t keep returning. Dermatologists can treat the symptom of varicose veins with cosmetic procedures, but not the underlying cause. This can result in the varicose veins returning again and again. Instead, we treat the cause of varicose veins at the vascular level.
Comprehensive Vascular Surgery Services
At Northern Westchester Hospital, our vascular surgeons specialize in evaluation and treatment of all issues related to blood vessels of the body, including:
- Cardiovascular Issues
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)
- Carotid artery disease
- Chronic wounds including venous stasis and diabetic wounds
- Varicose veins
- Diabetic vascular disease and ulcers
- Peripheral vascular disease of the upper and lower extremities, also referred to as lower extremity arterial disease
- Peripheral arterial disease, including claudication, gangrene
- Aortoiliac occlusive disease
- Aortic dissection
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Renal failure
- Renovascular disease
- Thoracic aneurysm
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Visceral artery disease
- Diabetic vascular disease
Vascular Procedures Performed by our Vascular Surgeons
- Peripheral interventions for peripheral arterial disease - balloons and stents
- Carotid stenting
- Angiogram stent placement
- Angioplasty with or without stenting
- Vascular bypass
- Balloon embolectomy
- Open aortic surgery Thoracic Endovascular Aneurysm Repair (TEVAR)
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Ultrasound for blood clots, and ankle brachial index (ABI)
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
If you are having leg pain or suspect you have a problem with your vascular system, if your podiatrist advises a consult or you need a second opinion, talk to us about minimally invasive treatment options. We're here to help.
Non-Invasive Outpatient Testing
At NWH, we make the most of highly accurate, non-invasive technology. We use ultrasound and pulse volume recordings (PVRs) to eliminate pain and the use of anesthesia, radiation, or dyes as we test your circulatory system.
During your PVR testing, we place blood pressure cuffs on your arms, legs and/or feet to check for variations between blood flood rates in different areas of your body. Our specially trained technicians use a small ultrasound instrument (a transducer) to record the speed of the blood flow in your vessels.
If you have a blockage or narrowing in an artery caused by peripheral arterial disease, this 30 to 90-minute test provides our vascular surgery team with the information needed to give you a clear diagnosis and to develop a treatment plan.
Personalized Treatment Options and Vascular Surgery
Our multidisciplinary team works with you to develop a personalized treatment plan for your vascular disorder that may include:
- Minimally invasive endovascular therapies such as reinforcing a weakened blood vessel with stent grafts, opening blocked arteries with a balloon (angioplasty), or injecting clot-dissolving drugs directly into an artery using a tiny catheter
- Restricting blood flow to varicose veins with specialized, targeted chemical injections
- Lymphatic system repair via vascular surgeryry from vascular diseases possible. Experienced vascular care close to home -- this expertise is not widely available in Northern Westchester.
By using groundbreaking technologies, our dedicated medical professionals are making recovery from vascular diseases possible. Experienced vascular care close to home -- this expertise is not widely available in Northern Westchester.
Meet Your Surgeons
Nationally ranked for quality and safety, and patient-satisfaction scores, along with a top-down commitment to applying the latest technology to deliver the best possible care, Northern Westchester Hospital attracts top doctors in their fields. Learn more about our Vascular Surgeons, Dr. Kenneth Goldstein and Dr. Aditya Rachakonda.
To learn more about our personalized, minimally invasive diagnostic and vascular surgery options at NWH, call us at 877.469.4362 or contact us online for a vascular surgeon.