The Emergency Department at Northern Westchester Hospital provides outstanding patient care to approximately 80 patients a day, or 29,000 patients a year from Mount Kisco, White Plains and surrounding New York areas.
Frequently Asked Questions
What We Offer in our Advanced Emergency Department:
- Prompt evaluation in the triage area by a member of the medical team
- Fast Track area where patients with less urgent cases are treated quickly with little to no wait time
- Distinct treatment areas for Adults, Pediatric and Behavioral Health patients
- Advanced technology throughout the facility, including Bedside Medication Verification and Electronic Medical Records to ensure patient safety and high-quality medical care
- Modern, spacious design that includes natural light, flowing contours and comforting colors and wood tones—combined to create a calming atmosphere to reduce your anxiety
- Spacious and private patient rooms
- A highly experienced team of caregivers working together to provide personalized medical care: NWH staff is made up of board-certified Emergency Medicine Physicians, and highly-qualified, experienced Emergency Medicine Registered Nurses
- Consultation and Family Room with Wi-Fi connectivity
- Separate driveway and entrance for ambulances
- We have a state-of-the-art radiology suite in the Emergency Department, available 24/7 for emergency scans. Our low dose CT equipment is the leader in technology, capable of faster scans at superior high-definition images of every organ in the body.
Designated Pediatric ER Services
Of the 29,000 patients treated in the Northern Westchester Hospital Emergency Room, every year 28%—or approximately 8,000—are children.
- All Emergency Department physicians at New York's Northern Westchester Hospital have training in pediatrics
- Pediatric hospitalists are available around the clock
- We have specialists in pediatric cardiology, pediatric gastroenterologist, and pediatric surgery
- All Emergency Room nurses are certified in providing pediatric advanced life support
- Designated pediatric areas, with child-friendly treatment rooms and waiting areas are tailored to meet a child’s unique care needs
- NWH staff therapy dogs provide great comfort and distraction to our patients of all ages
Advanced Cardiac Care and Stroke Center
NWH is a Designated Stroke Center by the New York State Health Department
Therapeutic Hypothermia Protocol for cardiac patients— patients who arrive at NWH and have been resuscitated after cardiac arrest, but are still in a coma, have better outcomes when they are cooled down rapidly. NWH is able to start the cooling process in the Emergency Department, and then the process is continued with a specialized cooling apparatus in our Intensive Care Unit.
Westchester Emergency Medical Services (WEMS)— a pre-hospital emergency care program that offers the community advanced life support services delivered by paramedics 24 hours a day. These paramedics work in cooperation with the local volunteer ambulance corps to improve outcomes before the patient arrives at the Emergency Department.
By supplementing its 911 ambulance system with this fly-car system, trained paramedics travel to patients in vehicles equipped with advanced life support equipment. Paramedics can triage patients in the field (including performing EKGs) and send information directly back to the hospital. Based on the vital information from the paramedics, the department physician can determine whether the patient should be transported to NWH or be diverted to another care facility.
NWH spearheaded the development of the WEMS program with nine surrounding communities.
The New Mary and David Boies Emergency Department at NWH was built by the community, for the community.
We actively sought feedback from advisory groups, through regular surveys and by maintaining an open dialogue with our patients. The result is the intelligently designed Emergency Department, which best serves you, our patients.
Dr. Jim Dwyer is Medical Director of the Emergency Department of Northern Westchester Hospital.