Spring Ahead This Weekend with These Sleep Tips
NEWS FROM THE CENTER FOR SLEEP MEDICINE
Remember to set your clocks ahead one hour before you go to sleep this Satuday night. Daylight Saving Time begins at 2:00am Sunday.
If you think you might have a sleep disorder, take this quiz. To learn more visit the Center for Sleep Medicine.
Dr. Praveen Rudraraju, new director of the Center for Sleep Medicine at Northern Westchester Hospital in Mt. Kisco, NY, offers these tips for coping with the loss of an hour’s sleep when Daylight Saving Time begins on March 10, 2013.
- In the days leading up to the start of Daylight Saving Time, go to bed 5-10 min earlier every 2-3 days.
- Get up 5-10 min earlier every 2-3 days in the same period.
- Exercise 30-40 minutes in bright light (before 5pm) every day.
- Limit caffeine to drinks/day all before noon.
- Limit alcohol to one drink with dinner.
- Avoid computer work one hour before bedtime
- Relax by reading, quiet music or TV 1 hour before bedtime.
- Stay out of bedroom until sleeptime. Do not work in the bedroom if at all possible.
Back to News Index