Posted on: March 26, 2014
The Taste of Eating Right
March 26, 2014
March is National Nutrition Month, an annual nutrition education campaign sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The Registered Dietitians at Northern Westchester Hospital want to encourage everyone to celebrate by focusing on making healthy food choices! Specifically, by keeping this year’s theme in mind: “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right.”
Most consumer research has shown that individuals are likely to choose foods that taste good, healthy or not; as dietitians, we completely understand – we eat what tastes best. Spend some extra time enjoying your meal choices by combining flavors and nutritious foods to build a healthy plate.
How can you Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right this month (or any month for that matter)? Here are some suggestions from our dietitians on ways to enjoy nutritious foods without forfeiting flavor:
- Try a new recipe or add a twist to your favorite go-to recipe by incorporating different spices and herbs
- Add a new fruit or vegetable into your grocery cart when you go food shopping every week
- Swap out an ingredient for a healthier version when cooking or baking, such as whole wheat flour instead of white flour or non-fat plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
- Experiment with various herbs or spices instead of salt. Garlic, ginger, cilantro, rosemary, thyme all provide great flavor (and fragrance!)
- Jazz up your water or seltzer by adding natural flavors such as lemon or lime wedges, cucumber and ginger
- Have fruit or non-fat frozen yogurt for dessert or indulge in your favorite dessert but share it or only have a few bites to keep calories under control
- Try vegetable sources of protein such as beans, lentils, soy foods like tempeh, tofu or edamame beans
If you have a specific nutrition-related question please feel free to contact our Registered Dietitians at (914) 666-1465 or firstname.lastname@example.org.