We Are a Planetree Hospital
We at Northern Westchester Hospital are extremely proud to be one of the first five hospitals in the country to receive the prestigious recognition of Designated Planetree Patient-Centered Care Hospital with Distinction. NWH is also the first hospital in New York State to receive this designation, which is a strong endorsement of the expertise and humanity of the entire staff.
What is Planetree?
Planetree is a non-profit organization that provides education and information in a collaborative community of healthcare organizations, facilitating efforts to create patient-centered care in healing environments.
As a global catalyst and leader, Planetree promotes the development and implementation of innovative models of healthcare that focus on healing and nurturing body, mind and spirit.
Our Beliefs as a Planetree Designated Hospital
- that we are human beings, caring for other human beings
- we are all caregivers
- care giving is best achieved through kindness and compassion
- safe, accessible, high quality care is fundamental to patient-centered care
- in a holistic approach to meeting people’s needs of body, mind and spirit
- families, friends and loved ones are vital to the healing process
- access to understandable health information can empower individuals to participate in their health care
- the opportunity for individuals to make personal choices related to their care is essential
- physical environments can enhance healing, health and wellbeing
- illness can be a transformational experience for patients, families and caregivers