Emergency Department Process Redesign
High-quality care in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner
To learn about bringing this program to your facility, contact Maria Hale, Vice President, Patient-Centered Support Services, 914.666.1951 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A hospital Emergency Department is the “face” of the hospital. Patients and families expect the emergency room process to provide the highest quality care in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner. Emergency care is dependent on the various units within a hospital; therefore, the experience within the Emergency Department impacts every department in the hospital.
Patient satisfaction data and focus groups with patients revealed what was most important to patients: to see the Emergency Room Practitioner expeditiously after arrival, receive updates on the plan of care, be discharged or admitted in a timely manner. The Emergency Department set out to consistently achieve these goals for our patients and families through a patient-centered emergency room process and facility redesign:
Patient-Centered Emergency Room Process Redesign Objectives:
- Patients are seen by an Emergency Room Provider within 30 minutes.
- Bedside Triage – patients are brought right back to their room
- Patients are admitted to their hospital room within 40 minutes of the MD decision
- Dedicated RN Coordinator manages patient flow addressing delays and bottlenecks
- Communication with patient and family is transparent with routine bedside rounding
Facility Redesign Principles:
State of the art technology in a warm and tranquil environment:
- 26 private treatment rooms with ample seating for families
- Rooms with a view of a tranquil healing garden
- Dedicated Areas for Adult, Pediatric and Behavioral Health
- Dedicated Family Center
- A Well-Sibling Center – for the brothers and sisters visiting a pediatric patient
- Patients and families choose the artwork they wish to view at the foot of their bed
- Dedicated imaging suite
- Artwork selected by the NWH Patient and Family Advisory Council
Patient Satisfaction reached the top 10% of Emergency Departments in the Nation with sustained results.
To learn about bringing this emergency room process to your facility, contact Maria Hale, Vice President, Patient-Centered Support Services, 914.666.1951 or email@example.com.