Northern Westchester Hospital is Recognized as a Screening Center of Excellence for Lung CancerAugust 07, 2017
Lung cancer claims more lives than breast, colon and prostate cancer combined, accounting for 1 in 5 cancer deaths, globally. Northern Westchester Hospital and Yorktown Imaging have been added to the national list of Screening Centers of Excellence by the Lung Cancer Alliance for its dedication and commitment to screening, diagnosis and the continuum of life-saving care.
According to the Lung Cancer Alliance, LungCancerAlliance.org, Northern Westchester Hospital's lung cancer screening program was awarded this recognition as a Screening Center of Excellence based on its commitment to including each of the following elements in their screening program:
- Provides clear information on the risks and benefits of CT screening;
- Complies with standards based on the most up to date best published practices for managing screening quality, radiation dose and diagnostic procedures;
- Works collectively as a multidisciplinary team or refers patients as appropriate to a multidisciplinary team to carry out the process of screening, diagnosis and the continuum of care;
- Refers those patients who still smoke to a tobacco cessation program; and
- Provides results of the screening scans to the patient or referring physician as appropriate in a timely manner.
Back to news